Sunday, March 31, 2013

Roughing Out and Fitting the Dutchman Patches


     Good Friday allowed me to spend some time cutting out the dutchman patches from an 8/4 plank of mahogany, as well as some time on Rhino working to fit the patches.  The  process for roughing out the  dutchman patches was straight forward:  apply the dutchman template to the 8/4 mahogany plank, trace out the patch to be cut out, and then proceed to remove the patch using the bandsaw.   I intentionally left the dutchman patches oversized in order to trim the material on site, working toward a good, tight fit in the toerail.  



At the same time I roughed out the port and starboard material, I roughed out the small, 3" x 5" bow piece.  Total time spent in the shop was about an hour.



After roughing out the patches in the shop, I took a trip over Rhino to begin the fitting process.  The amount of material I left in place versus the actual measure of the void came in handy, as I decided to widen the void in some places in order to remove questionable wood within the toerail.  I used a combination of random orbital sander and a hand plane to shape the dutchman down to a tight fit.  Seen below, the port dutchman "working" its way into position.



The bow piece, shown below, was a much easier effort due to the simple form of the dutchman.  There is need for follow up on this piece, as I plan to set the patch a little deeper in the rail.  I will remove more material in the rail to allow a deeper set for the dutchman.



The port and bow pieces settling into their new homes.  More work is required to get the patches in place, and prior to beginning the staining, sealing, and numerous coats of varnish.




March 29th, 2013 - Total Time 4.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment