Saturday, April 13, 2013

Setting the Bow and Port Dutchman Patches


     Taking advantage of some free moments in the schedule, I rushed over to do some final fitting work on the bow patch.  After some final shaping on both the patch and the void, I prepared the surfaces for epoxy work: wiping down the surfaces to be epoxied with solvent to remove any contamination, and then applying "neat" epoxy to the patch and void.  Finally, I mixed a batch of epoxy thickened with "wood flour" taken from sanding work on the patches themselves.  Once I had generously spread the thickened epoxy throughout the void, I gently coaxed the patch into place with a rubber mallet.



April 9th, 2013 - Total Time .75 hrs



     The following evening, I returned to Rhino intent on setting the port dutchman patch, following the same process for the bow patch.  Working both the patch and void with chisel and hand plane, I arrived at a tight fit and turned to epoxy work to set the patch.  Again, I wiped all surfaces down with solvent, removing sanding dust and any contaminants that may prevent a good bond.  Once the surfaces were cleaned, I proceeded to paint out the void and patch with "neat" epoxy.  Setting the patch aside, I then mixed a couple of large batches of thickened epoxy using a combination of "wood flour", 407 low density filler, and 406 colloidal silica.  Once I had enough of the thickened mixture placed in the void, I set the dutchman with a rubber mallet, working the piece into the void for a tight fit.  Picture below shows the port dutchman set.



Another view of the port dutchman patch.



April 10th, 2013 - Total Time 3 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment