Sunday, March 31, 2013

Starboard Material Removal


     Immediately following my office gig on Friday the 22nd of March, I arrived at Rhino for continued work on the removal of the starboard material subjected to water ingress.  I retrieved the starboard template stored in one of the aft lockers, and began to trace out the area to be removed. 



You can see that I seemed to have struggled aligning the starboard template for the eventual dutchman patch, yet in the end I prevailed.



After a couple hours of old-fashioned handy work, I had removed most of the questionable material from the starboard rail.  Like the port rail, there would be some fine tuning in order to have the dutchman seat properly in the prepared void.



The toerail is secured, in its length fore to aft, by  4" silicon-bronze flat head wood screws.  All six screws that I removed were showing signs of corrosion as a result of the water ingress. 



The overhead picture shows the material removed from the port and starboard rails, and in process of preparation to receive the dutchman patches.



Work area secured for an approaching week-long rain event.



March 22nd, 2013 - Total Time 2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment